- Focus on multiple areas and provide technical and thought leadership to the enterprise
- Collaborate with product managers, team members, customers, and other engineering teams to solve our toughest problems
- Develop and execute technical software development strategy for the IaaS Engineering domain, while optimizing for performance and efficiency
- Own accountability for the quality, usability, and performance of the solutions
- Be a role model and mentor, helping to coach and strengthen the technical expertise and know-how of our engineering and product community. Influence and educate executives
- Consistently share best practices and improve processes within and across teams
- Analyze cost and forecast, incorporating them into business plans
- Determine and support resource requirements, evaluate operational processes, measure outcomes to ensure desired results, demonstrate adaptability and sponsor continuous learning
- Take on-call and operation support
- Strong foundations in software engineering
- Deep hands-on experience in complex system design and data pipeline and architectures, scale and performance, tuning, with good knowledge on Docker and Kubernetes
- Professional experience in software development at least one modern programming language, including Go, Python, Java, or Rust
- Hands-on experience with public and/or private cloud environments (OpenShift, Kubernetes, Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Experience and technical knowledge of security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols and cryptography
- Experience in CI/CD pipeline and related open-source tools like GIT/Jenkin/CircleCI/SonarQube and knowledge in Terraform will be big plus
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement resilient, scalable, and efficient solutions
- Strong problem-solving abilities and a proactive approach to identifying and mitigating risks
- Excellent communication skills, able to communicate complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Knowledge on Open-source monitoring software like Grafana and Prometheus
- One of more of the following certifications are highly desired:
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- o Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- 6+ years of professional IaaS experience
- 4+ years of experience in open-source frameworks
- 3+ years of experience with architecture and design
- 3+ years of experience with AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure, or another cloud service
- 1+ years of people management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
United States of America
(From Everywhere/No Office Location)
Rust Job Details
GEICO is seeking an experienced Principal Engineer with a passion for building high performance, low maintenance, zero-downtime platforms, and applications. You will help drive our insurance business transformation as we transition from a traditional IT model to a tech organization with engineering excellence as its mission, while co-creating the culture of psychological safety and continuous improvement.
Our Principal Engineer works with our Distinguished Engineer and Sr. Engineers to innovate and build new systems, improve, and enhance existing systems as well as identify new opportunities to apply your knowledge to solve critical problems. You will lead the strategy and execution of a technical roadmap that will increase the velocity of delivering products and unlock new engineering capabilities. The ideal candidate has deep technical expertise in software engineering, cryptography, and open-source IaaS platform domain
As a Principal Engineer, you will:
As an Associate, you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
• Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
• Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
• 401(k) Plan
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins on the date of hire. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.
At this time, GEICO will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
$100,000.00 - $204,500.00
The above annual salary range is a general guideline. Multiple factors are taken into consideration to arrive at the final hourly rate/ annual salary to be offered to the selected candidate. Factors include, but are not limited to, the scope and responsibilities of the role, the selected candidate's work experience, education and training, the work location as well as market and business considerations.