- Execute full lifecycle software development.
- Write well-designed, testable, and efficient code.
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system.
- Document and maintain software functionality.
- Collaborate with project members to implement software to meet stakeholder needs.
- Comply with project plans and industry standards.
- Assist with code reviews.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent knowledge/training) in Computer Science, Engineering, Computational Biology or a related discipline and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with modern practices of open collaborative software development, including code review, the GitHub pull request model, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of Python and Agile software practices (e.g., Scrum, Kanban).
- Advanced understanding of software engineering practices that include testing, documentation, source code management, and release procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including experience synthesizing information to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the experience collaborating with a diverse staff of scientific and technical specialists within an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Advanced Degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Microbiology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Experience with front end design and/or development using JQuery, Single Page WebApp frameworks like React, visualization libraries such as D3.
- Experience with other modern languages including Java, Go, and/or Rust.
- Experience with Docker Containers.
- Experience with developing applications to display/visualize scientific (preferably biological) data.
- Experience in bioinformatics software design and engineering, mathematical analysis and comparative and functional genomics.
- Experience with cluster and cloud computing environments such as Amazon EC2 or Batch Execution environments such as found in high performance computing clusters.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, or ElasticSearch.
- For full consideration, please apply with a resume by November 4, 2022.
- This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year (benefits eligible), Term appointment with the possibility of renewal up to a maximum of 5 years total or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work may be performed on-site, hybrid, full-time telework or remote modes. Work must be performed within the United States.
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
United States of America
(From Everywhere/No Office Location)
Rust Job Details
Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology (EGSB) Division is looking for a Software Developer to join The Department of Energy Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase) Team!
KBase integrates numerous biological datasets and analysis tools into a unified, extensible system that allows researchers to collaboratively generate and test hypotheses about biological functions. This project seeks to expand access to computational biology workflows; facilitate collaborations and data sharing; and support reproducible science through novel notebook based publications.
In this exciting role, you will design, develop, and install software solutions for computational biology applications. In this position you will build high-quality, innovative, and fully performing software in compliance with coding standards and technical design while working on a wide range of software development tasks, including user interface design, data integration, database and software interface design, and high-performance computing and bioinformatic algorithm development. You will have the opportunity to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, especially using Agile approaches such as Scrum, Kanban or rapid application development.
What You Will Do:
What is Required:
What We Prefer:
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 14 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.