- Handle highly complex, political, financial, executive level cases - as business demands
- Key collaboration point for advanced troubleshooting to unblock issues - including the use of code-level techniques
- Manage engagement with Product Engineering for Support-raised escalations
- Work alongside Serviceability and engineering teams as trusted advisor to improve incident resolution or service deficiency
- Drive process, tool, service delivery and solution improvements that enable effective troubleshooting and remediation (incl. Diagnostics)
- Provide ramp activities for junior engineers, knowledge sharing, technical coaching and mentoring
- Drive technical collaboration and engagement outside of CSS (Product Engineering teams, Services, Support, Regions)
- Lead or participate in building communities with peer delivery roles; may be workload or specialty specific
- Lead engineering investigations to bring quicker issue resolution to support incidents impacting our customers and improve customer experience.
- Build solutions, help create tools, help automate issue detection and diagnosis, to enable customers or support to self-resolve the issues.
- Identify emerging trends or re-occurring escalation scenarios and drive engineering opportunities to mitigate and/or eliminate them from the workflow. This can include a range of potential work item categories; such as self-healing mechanisms, self-serve, transparency, automation, and/or increasing the capabilities for Azure support.
- Contribute to product improvements by filing impactful bugs, design change requests and helping developers to fix and ship them to production, preventing customers from being impacted.
- As a trusted advisor to the Microsoft Azure engineering team and the Serviceability Technology Lead, you will suggest changes to future versions to better equip our support teams as well as our partners and customers and help influence in-market solutions today.
- Able to work well in challenging situations while exhibiting flexibility and ability tolerate and manage through ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Work directly with our Data Movement Product Group to provide world-class engineering support at a product component level.
- Perform complex product debugging and remediation when needed; working alongside the Big Data development teams to drive support incident resolution for configuration, code, or other service deficiencies impacting customers.
- Embedded Escalation Engineers are not expected to write product code; however, should be able to apply their code skills and understanding towards efficiently resolving support issues as appropriate.
- Identify emerging trends or recurring escalation scenarios and drive engineering opportunities to mitigate and/or eliminate them from the workflow. This can include a range of potential work item categories; such as self-healing mechanisms, transparency, automation, and/or increasing the capabilities of Data Movement Cloud Services.
- Provide periodic on-call rotation (low frequency) service as primary response to service escalations.
- The position is primarily “behind the scenes” providing engineering support to the broader Microsoft Data Movement support delivery teams for incidents that require product group engagement. At the same time, individuals should be capable and prepared to occasionally engage directly with customers to help facilitate incident resolution as appropriate.
- 3+ years of experience in a customer-facing or support role in any of the following: technical escalation support, product support, developer support, IT DevOps, IT Admin/support, Systems Development, or Consulting or IT/Network Operations.
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following:
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems and develop solutions
- Experience in a Tier 2/3 environment is preferred
- BS in computer science or engineering or equivalent industry experience is preferred.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Passion for technology and customer supportability
- Leadership - handle technically challenging and politically hot customer situations
- Strong communications skills - excellent spoken and written English communication skills and the ability to present complex technical issues clearly and concisely to a general audience
- Ability to drive meetings and discussions remotely with authority
- Ability to develop and nurture relationships over long distances and remote technologies like Skype
- Ability to partner within virtual teams and execute multiple technical initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Engineering teams to drive architectural changes to improve stability of environments
- Ability to prioritize core role responsibilities vs. other work requests received
- Logical and critical thinking
- Ability to deal with ambiguity under continual deadline constraints
Lisbon - Portugal
Rust Job Details
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
Portuguese OR Spanish Language: fluent in reading, writing and speaking. English Language: confident in reading, writing and speaking.
Interested in being on the cutting edge of Cloud Services? Then come join Microsoft as an Embedded Escalation Engineer (EEE) working with Data Movement and related technologies.
We are building an engineering team within support to be “the” differentiator in the marketplace and need the best and brightest to take our Data Movement solutions to the next level.
As an Embedded Escalation Engineer (EEE), you will be an important member of the Customer Service and Support (CSS) Data and AI Support Engineering Team and a virtual member of the Data Movement Product Group. You will have the following key responsibilities:
It’s your chance to:
o Cloud Computing
o Having experience in any of the following areas, e.g. RDMS such as Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Integration Services, ETL, data integration, hadoop, spark, relational db, unstructured data, all kinds of industrial data services.
o Security and network related knowledge.
o Experience with Open Source technology, such as Spark streaming, Kafka and Flink and make contributions to these technologies
o Service engineering and/or DevOps experience at internet scale involving user data and/or software development for an enterprise level product
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.